- Butchers - Mulhollands , Great Orton 01228-711434 (may deliver to site if big order)
- Butchers - Carrock Meats, Dalston 01228-712442
- Bryce’s Mobile Chip Van – in Grinsdale Village (369580) Friday evening. Will visit site by arrangement Thursdays (07789-766420)
- Tesco / Asda / Sainsburys internet deliveries – postcode CA5 6DW
- Stagecoach Route 93 (Bowness on Solway to Carlisle) passes end of the lane
- Irvings Coach Hire (01228-521777/521666) usually offers the best deals
- Nearest medical practice – Eden Medical Group (01228-524477) Port Road, Carlisle (heading into town on left just past hospital – turn left immediately before the Jolly Sailor)
- Out of hours medical treatment – 01228-401999
Off Site Activities
- Orienteering , Mountain Biking & Go Ape at Whinlatter Forest, near Keswick
- Climbing & abseiling (fixed points) at Sandale Quarry ( about 30 minutes away).
- Urban Adventure (beside Carlisle Castle) – special rates for scout groups
- Solway Aviation Museum, Carlisle Airport – Cub & Scouts Air Activities Badge ([email protected])
- Visit Castle (book in advance with English Heritage – free as an educational visit)
- Swimming pools James Street (01228-625777) – or shop!
- Keswick - Trip to Leisure Pool (017687-72760)?
- Keswick Launch Company (01768772263) will probably put on separate boat for large groups. 017687-72263 www.keswick-launch.co.uk
- Ullswater. Steamer (017684-82229) from Pooley Bridge to Howtown. 7 mile lake shore walk to Glenridding. Catch steamer back to Pooley Bridge. Or start and finish at Glenridding.
- Eskdale. Train (special discounted through tickets) or coach to Ravenglass. Miniature railway (01229-717171) to Dalegarth (40 mins). Follow footpaths up valley past road to HardKnott fort – superb rock pools for swimming. Alternatively visit Muncaster Castle (www.Muncaster.co.uk)
- From site – turn left along road into Kirkandrews-on-Eden and follow footpath sign to Grinsdale , joining the Cumbria Coastal Way which heads eastwards to Carlisle (3.5 miles)
- Map – Explorer 315.
- PLEASE NOTE THERE IS NO PUBLIC RIGHT OF WAY ALONG THE TRACK OPPOSITE RATLINGATE LANE END – this is blocked by a locked gate topped with barbed wire..Do NOT try to use as a short cut to the Coastal Way.
- Easy 4.4 mile circuit starting from the campsite. Head into Kirkandrews-on-Eden and pick up the footpath to Grinsdale and then onto the River Eden before following the Coastal Way back to Beaumont and inland back to Kirkandrews. Explorer map 315.
- Hadrian’s Wall – get coach via Brampton to Lanercost & follow line of wall from Banks (GR 566646 Explorer 315 – stop in lay-by to explore well-preserved turret and signal tower) via Greenhead & onto Military Road (B6318). Visit Carvoran Military Museum (entry fee) before parking at Steel Rigg & walking 3 miles along wall (probably the best preserved & most spectacular section) to Housesteads Roman Fort (English Heritage – again free educational pass if booked online in advance).
- Keswick. Explorer Map OL4. Launch trip anti-clockwise to Hawse-end landing stage (GR 251214). Short track to road & very small car park – pick up fell track to summit of Catbells (GR 243197) for a popular and spectacular ridge walk. Continue southwards and descend via Hause Gate to the road from Grange. Head northwards for a short distance to pick up a track to the Brandlehow Landing Stage and catch the launch back to Keswick.
- Keswick. Launch trip anti-clockwise (or clockwise for a shorter journey) round Derwent water to be dropped off at Ashness Gate & walk up to Ashness Bridge. Slight detour to Surprise View overlooking lake before doubling back & following footpath up and over Walla Crags (not too high but gives impression of height with spectacular views looking down onto Keswick and the lake below) to Keswick (detour via Castlerigg Stone Circle?).
Other walks – section of Cumbria Coastal route eg. Allonby/Silloth – beach bbq or fish & chips
Activity Centres (all tend to be very expensive!)
Newlands Activity Centre, Stair, Keswick 017687-78463
Rookin House Activity Centre, Troutbeck nr Ullswater 017684-83561
Hawse-end (for saiing & canoeing at Scarness on Bassenthwaite) 017687-75108
Nichol End Marine, Portinscale, Derwentwater 017687-73082 (sailing, windsurfing etc)
Possible Expedition Routes
Good footpaths along River Caldew from Carlisle via Dalston to Hesket Newmarket
Campsite at Hesket Newmarket (farm behind carpark – GR343387 – tel. 016974-78453)
Various footpaths to Mosedale (357322)
Superb low-level route through Northern Fells to Peter House Farm (250325)
Campsite at Peter House Farm Mr T.Trafford 017687-76278
County campsite at Scarness (218307) on Bassenthwaite ( 017687-75108)
Camping at Broadness Farm (223296), Bassenthwaite (017687-223296)
These are in short supply but in the past it has been possible to camp at the following farms (most require own elsan toilets) to the east of Carlisle.
Jockey Shield Castle Carrock (Sheet 86: 557558) 01228-70251
Low Gelt Farm, Brampton (Sheet 86:522591) 016977-41036
Netherton Farm, Talkin, Brampton (Sheet 86: 537567) 01228-70276
Oakbank, Longtown (Sheet 85: 368704) 01228-791284